The owner has the following major responsibilities;
- Screen families who apply for tenancy, to determine suitability as renters
- The PHA can provide some information to the owner, but the primary responsibility for tenant screening rests with the owner.
- The owner should consider family background factors such as rent and bill-paying history, history of caring of property, respecting the rights of others to peaceful enjoyment of the property, compliance with essential conditions of tenancy, whether the family is engaging in drug-related criminal activity or other criminal activity that might threaten others.
- Comply with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payments contract executed with the PHA;
- Comply with all applicable fair housing laws and do not discriminate against anyone;
- Maintain the housing unit in accordance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and make necessary repairs in a timely manner;
- Collect rent due from the assisted family and otherwise comply with and enforce provisions of the dwelling lease.